Recently, there has been increased popularity on composite decking preference compared to other decking materials such as wood. A composite deck is made of wooden particles and some plastic elements mainly, polypropylene.
There are many reasons why most people opt for composite decking; it is easier to maintain, more stylish and can last over long periods. The main catch is that the decks last longer. It is therefore essential to understand how long this decking can serve you.
What Is the Expected Lifespan of Composite Decking?
Even though the cost of purchasing and installing composites is higher compared to other methods of decking, on the brighter side is that this kind of decking is more durable. The stipulated service period for the composite material is between 25 to 30 years. Other kinds of decking last for about 15 years.
The lifespan of this decking is also dependent on the installation process. It is vital to hire professionals who are well trained on the deck’s proper handling and installation. Another factor to be keen on is the manufacturer’s recommendations on how long the composite can be of service. They also offer warranty ranging between 30- 50 years on the product.
It is also important to note that there are barely any time -consuming maintenance procedures, such as oiling, painting and sanding with this kind of decking. Still, it is necessary to carry out simple maintenance procedures such as cleaning with soapy water.
What Makes Composite So Long?
Some aspects contribute to the long lifespan of composite decking and among them is that they are highly resistant to damage from both water and insects.
The exterior coating also makes it almost impossible for the growth of mould and resulting rotting. They remain intact compared to wooden decking that is quickly falling apart, thus frequent replacement.
The composite material is also free from fading and discolouration often brought about by the UV rays. The outer layer retains its colour, thus maintaining a crispy fresh look for long periods.
Unlike the wooden decking, composites are made of a material that can remain intact over long durations without chipping and splitting into small fragments that would otherwise make it unimpressive and short-lived.
Factors That Shorten the Span of Composite Material
Composite is durable, but it does not mean that they are entirely free from getting damaged. When exposed to damaging factors, composite can serve you for about 10 to 15 years. It is, therefore, crucial to watch out for the factors below that shorten its lifespan.
• Irregular Maintenance- Failure to maintain your composite patio cay result in damage. It is crucial to frequently remove any dirt that can be, for instance, dust or leaves. The leaves absorb moisture when rotting and therefore result in moulding, which damages the surface.
• Moisture Absorbency- Keep the composite dry and free from moisture that can be absorbed easily, especially during winter.
• Keep away from the use of salt and sand and other harsh materials that can damage the composite polishing, especially when removing ice.
• It is essential to keep the composite surface free from any scratches that can result from pulling of heavy items and damage from falling items.
• Avoid the use of cleaning detergents that contain strong compounds that may tamper with the original colour of the composite. Use of water and mild cleaning soap are recommended.